Saturday, May 07, 2005

A Working Stiff

I will become a working stiff again on this coming Monday. I'll be working part-time at Shayne Clinard's Web-Collector eBay auction company, creating lots for sale from material he purchases. I actually started today, but that was more a training course rather than actually working. I did see some interesting lots! I'm also looking at a large number of stamps I've never seen before.

Today, there were lots that contained: two Australia used sets from the 1930's (#142-44, 163-65); Wurttemburg #11 used; a set of 4 sheets from the 1931 National Exhibition of Uruguay (410a-413a); a lot containing about 200 stamps from Europe, from very early France and Sweden to some Swiss semi-postals from the 1970's; a British Commonwealth lot that contained stamps from Great Britain and about 40 colonies; the George VI Silver Wedding issue from Aden; and a nice lot of Cape of Good Hope, both early triangles and small colonial seal issues. These lots will probably be up on eBay by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I tried to make a living as a stamp dealer in the early 1990's, and went bankrupt. Seeing how Shayne has taken advantage of the Internet and the quality of the material he has to offer shows that in order to succeed as a stamp dealer, you have to have both quality material and access to a large audience - certainly more people than collect stamps in Colorado Springs.

I think this is also going to be a learning experience for me, and I plan to take full advantage of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home